Phasmophobia Exposition Update
Popular ghost hunting game Phasmophobia is set to release its August update today at 1pm CST. There are a number of additions, changes, and fixes. There are two new ghosts, a new equipment type, and the equipment overall has received a visual upgrade.
Sprinting has received a much-needed overhaul. The default walking speed is now what the old sprint speed was. Players can now sprint for 3 seconds with a five second recharge. VR will have teleporting now to mimic PC sprinting. An inner and outer UI circle represents the teleport range for walking and sprinting that adjust in size depending on how far the player chooses to teleport. Ghosts now have increased acceleration during a hunt when they see a player and their hunt movement delay has decreased from 5 to 3 seconds.
Two new ghost types have been added: the Goryo and Myling.
Goryo are vengeful ghosts from Japanese aristocratic classes that have typically been martyred. Belief in the spirits arose during the Heian period. It is said the Goryo were "the spirits of powerful lords who had been wronged and were capable of catastrophic vengeance" They were rumored to be able to destroy crops and summon typhoons and earthquakes. From the journal:
"Using a video camera is the only way to view a Goryo, when it passes through a DOTS projector.
Unique Strengths: A Goryo will usually only show itself on camera if there are no people nearby.
Weaknesses: They are rarely seen far from their place of death.
Evidence: EMF Level 5, Fingerprints, DOTS Projector"
The Myling are the souls of children that have been forced to roam the earth until they can persuade someone to bury them properly. They typically come into existence when an unwanted child is killed by the mother. They can then be heard singing in the night to reveal their mother's evil deed. A myling can be helped by giving it a name or finding the corpse and burying it in holy soil. From the journal:
"A Myling is a very vocal and active ghost. They are rumored to be quiet when hunting their prey.
Unique Strengths: A Myling is known to be quieter when hunting.
Weaknesses: Mylings more frequently make paranormal sounds.
Evidence: EMF Level 5, Fingerprints, Ghost Writing"
The DOTS Projector is "a laser light projector that detects paranormal movements, highlighting any entities within its range." In reality, these devices are the Kinect sensors that came with Xbox 360s.
Ghosts will now be alerted of the player's position during a hunt if they have electronic equipment on while hiding. Hunts will now impact all electronics with new sounds and visuals. The parabolic microphone will now let players hear "paranormal sounds" when aimed at the ghost. All of the equipment has received a visual overhaul and have new effects. Finally, there are new post-processing effects for players and the CCTV.
- All ghost types have had their evidence changed to make room for the 2 new ghosts and DOTS projector.
- During a hunt, equipment and lights will only be affected when in range of the ghost.
- Random ghost footsteps can now only be heard with a Parabolic Microphone.
- Glowsticks glow for 30 seconds then fade over next 30 seconds.
- The spirit box text has been replaced with icons to show if the ghost is responding.
- Several sounds have been replaced.
- The Infrared Sensor functionality has been merged into the Motion Sensor.
- Lighting has been improved in most maps.
- The ’placement helper object’ has new visuals.
- Volumetric lighting has been improved in all maps to reduce fogginess.
- When playing solo, you no longer have to use Push To Talk for the Spirit Box (if turned off in settings).
- The Ghost will no longer be visible at the start of the hunt until it starts moving.
- Player hand skin colour will now change based on the character you’re playing as.
- The tutorial has been updated with the new evidence type and new visuals.
- VR: The journal will now always be held in the left hand.
- The Parabolic Microphone can now only be used when inside.
- Several visual adjustments.
- Several UI adjustments.
- "Show us" phrase no longer makes the ghost interact twice.
- Fixed a bug where you could mute the Spirit Box static by picking it up with a different object in your hand.
- Fixed a bug where ghost events would only lower host’s sanity.
- Fixed a bug where the ghost window knocks were not giving interaction evidence on most windows.
- Fixed a bug where you could get the ghost to interact with objects with voice recognition in quick succession.
- Fixed a common multiplayer crash for the host on Asylum in multiplayer.
- Fixed a bug where you could force the ghost to end the hunt using voice recognition.
- Fixed a bug where you could get the ghost to interact with objects when you were dead with voice recognition.
- Fixed a bug where you wouldn’t always get a small map on the map selection screen.
- Fixed a bug where the sensors couldn’t be placed in certain doorways.
- Fixed a bug where picking up sensors too quickly would keep them turned on in your hand.
- Fixed occlusion culling issues on several levels.
- Fixed a bug where Danish and Finnish were in the wrong order in the language selection.
- Fixed a bug where certain ghost’s animations would only play if you are the host.
- Fixed a bug where equipment sounds were broken when being held by a female character.